These Desert Plants Are Skin Care's Latest Obsession
Succulents for your home are always a “yes,” but how about succulents for your…skin? We tapped a board-certified dermatologist to learn more about the succulent skin care craze, ahead.
Adorning your home or office with succulents is nothing new—or really all that surprising. The plants are easy to care for and maintain, and they can help add a bit of greenery to your indoor space. But there are additional succulent benefits to be had beyond decorating your work and living space. The plants—including aloe vera, cactus, prickly pear, and more—are known for their sustainability, even in the driest of climates. Thanks to their ability to store water and hold onto moisture, it should come as no surprise that succulents are cropping up in a wide range of beauty formulas. And from the looks of it, people can’t get enough.
THE BENEFITS OF SUCCULENTS IN SKIN CARE
Some experts think the increased interest in clean, naturally-sourced skin care likely has something to do with the rise of succulents in skin care. “Succulents have gained increased popularity in skin care products as patients look to natural products to meet their skin care needs,” says Arash Akhavan, MD, FAAD, founder of Dermatology & Laser Group, and Skincare.com consultant. So, what are the benefits? As we teased earlier, hydration, hydration, hydration. “Aloe vera, cactus, and prickly pear provide effective non-oily moisture to the skin with added benefits of having anti-inflammatory properties.”
Looking to give your skin a boost of moisture? Lucky for you, we’ve rounded up a few of our favorite products—from the L’Oreal portfolio of brands—that are formulated with extracts from succulents.
Kiehl’s Cactus Flower & Tibetan Ginseng Hydrating Mist
If you’re on the hunt for a refreshing facial mist to purify and hydrate your skin, put Kiehl’s Cactus Flower & Tibetan Ginseng Hydrating mist on your radar. The hydrating and cooling facial mist can help improve overall skin texture for a revived, healthy-looking appearance. Enhanced with Cactus Flower—a resilient desert flower that flourishes in dry conditions, “Tibetan Ginseng”—a mountain plant known to thrive in high altitude climates, and essential oils, this face mist is the ultimate skin-refresher to maintain the skin’s essential moisture day in and day out.
Garnier SkinActive Refreshing Aloe Juice Products
Transform your morning and evening routine with Garnier’s range of naturally-derived products* formulated with aloe juice.
Garnier SkinActive Refreshing Aloe Juice Facial Cleanser: This gel cleanser—formulated with aloe juice—removes excess sebum, impurities, and pollution for skin that feels fresh. What’s more? The formula rinses cleanse without leaving behind any pore-clogging residue.
Garnier SkinActive Refreshing Aloe Juice Cream Cleanser: Prefer a cream texture? This cream cleanser—formulated with aloe juice—instantly hydrates the skin while removing makeup and impurities. Best of all? The gentle formula won’t strip your skin of its natural moisture barrier, and will rinse clean without leaving behind an unwanted residue.
Garnier SkinActive Refreshing Aloe Juice 3-in-1 Moisturizer: This fast-absorbing, non-greasy face cream—formulated with aloe juice—hydrates the skin leaving it feeling soft, smooth, and supple. Use it three different ways in your routine: as a daytime moisturizer, as a nighttime moisturizer, or as a hydrating face mask.
Craving more plant-based skin care? Read up on all of the best skin care ingredients that literally grow on trees, here!
*Garnier considers an ingredient to be naturally-derived if it is unchanged from its natural state or if it has undergone processing yet retains greater than 50% of its molecular structure from its original plant or mineral source. The formulas in this range consist of 96% naturally-derived ingredients, with the remaining 4% dedicated to ingredients that can help ensure the formula's sensoriality and preservation.