Rose Petal Jam Recipe Inspired by Beauty Recipes From Nature
You sprinkle them in your bath, buy (or receive!) a dozen on Valentine’s Day, and preserve the petals in a batch of potpourri. Any guesses on what we’re referring to? Roses, but of course! Nobody can deny the elegant and soothing scent of roses, whether it be rose oil—one of the most expensive oils in the world—or a standard bouquet. Not surprisingly, roses—and their oil, water, and essence forms—make a frequent cameo in the formulas of a slew of skin care products, including facial mists, masks, serums, creams, and more.
Lucky for you, we’re sharing one of our favorite face masks formulated with the beauty benefits of roses below courtesy of none other than The Body Shop! And that’s not all. We’re also sharing the recipe to a delectable jam set over the edge with the addition of fresh rose petals. Smell your roses, wear your roses AND eat them too? Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to us!
The Mask: The Body Shop British Rose Fresh Plumping Mask
Formulated with real rose petals and essence of hand-picked roses from Britain, rosehip oil from Chile, and Community Trade aloe vera from Mexico, this refreshing gel-textured moisturizing mask helps to re-plump, tone, and hydrate the appearance of skin. The formula works best on skin that’s thirsty for an extra boost of hydration and comfort. Aside from their gorgeous and relaxing scent, roses in this mask also provide gentle exfoliation. From aromatherapy to a dewy-looking glow, is there anything roses—and this mask—can’t do?
While you’re enjoying the beauty benefits of the face mask, whip up a jam inspired by its rose-infused formula!
The Meal: Rose Petal Jam
Everything’s coming up roses with this rose petal-infused jam. It’s unlike any other jam we’ve tried. The smell is divine, and the uber-simple recipe highlights the delicate rose flavor in every bite. It goes great on homemade bread and/or with Greek yogurt for breakfast or an afternoon snack. You can also whip out a spoon and dig in straight from the jar. (Guilty!) For added dimension and flavor, sprinkle some fresh raspberries right on top. Ready to give this jam a whirl? Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 ½ cup filtered water
- 2 oz. wild rose petals
- 2 cups organic cane sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp powdered fruit pectin
- Place water and roses (make sure they’re thoroughly washed!) in a sauce pan and bring to a gentle simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 ¾ cups of sugar and stir until dissolved. Reduce heat.
- Add in the freshly-squeezed lemon juice and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium-high, mix the remaining sugar and pectin in a separate bowl and incorporate into the jam in small sprinkles.
- Continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pour the jam into sterilized half-pint jars with airtight lids. Store in the fridge for up to 2 months.
P.S.—It serves as a great gift for friends and loved ones!