How to Deal with a Ruddy Complexion
If there’s one universal truth when it comes to skin care, it’s that a clear complexion with an even tone and texture is what most everyone is striving for. Unfortunately, it’s exactly as hard to achieve as it sounds. Between enlarged pores, dark spots, and breakouts, there’s almost always something preventing your face from looking completely flawless. Another major culprit, holding you back from obtaining perfect-looking skin, is ruddiness. For anyone who has a ruddy complexion (marked by patches of redness), whether it’s all over the face or secluded to certain spots, we’re happy to report that things can be done. We spoke with plastic surgeon, SkinCeuticals ambassador, and Skincare.com consultant Dr. Peter Schmid to find out the best ways to improve a ruddy complexion, and we’re sharing everything we learned ahead.
What Causes Ruddy Skin?
As it turns out, ruddiness doesn’t have one source. The reason your skin looks red, and the reason your friend’s skin has a similar tone, could be completely different. Dr. Schmid speaks on the common causes saying, “Ruddy skin may be inherited genetically or caused by hormones, acne, infections, topical retinoids, aging, and poor lifestyle habits.” He continues, “Temperature extremes, saunas, and sun damage are common inciting factors.” It’s also important to note that not everyone is prone to ruddiness. According to Dr. Schmid, some ethnicities have a greater tendency towards a ruddy complexion.
Can You Get Rid of Ruddy Skin?
When attempting to tackle a complexion concern, it’s best not to think in terms of getting rid of the concern. While it may not be possible to get rid of ruddy skin entirely, Dr. Schmid suggests restoring and improving your skin’s appearance over time. Schmid’s first tip is to address not only the ruddiness itself, but any underlying medical condition. Once you know what’s causing your ruddy complexion, you can more easily strategize on what you can do to reduce its appearance. Beyond addressing the cause, Dr. Schmid recommends addressing a ruddy complexion through your skin care routine, as follows:
1. Apply an antioxidant serum. Schmid says many of his patients have benefited from a regimen that includes an antioxidant-rich serum like SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic. The vitamin C formula helps to improve the look of skin.
2. Use physical sunscreen. Sunscreen is one of the most important steps in any skin care routine. Remember: ruddy skin can be caused by sun damage. Dr. Schmid recommends opting for a physical sunscreen (rather than chemical) like these ones from SkinCeuticals: SkinCeuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50, SkinCeuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50, or SkinCeuticals Physical Matte UV Defense SPF 50.
3. Try cooling and calming products. Redness often points to irritation, so it only makes sense that cooling and calming products can help improve the look of ruddy skin.
4. Reinforce the skin’s barrier. Dr. Schmid reveals that those with ruddy skin often have a compromised skin barrier, meaning they’ll benefit from a moisturizer than helps to reinforce skin’s barrier and support skin’s natural self-repair. Try the SkinCeuticals Triple Lipid Restore 2:4:2.
How Can You Cover Up Ruddy Skin?
Changing the appearance of your skin and minimizing ruddiness can take time; there’s no instant fix to leave you with skin that’s suddenly even in tone. In the meantime, you can help neutralize the look of ruddiness with makeup. Follow these simple steps to hide redness:
1. Apply a color correcting BB cream. If your ruddiness encompasses the entirety of your face, you’ll want to begin with a base that can help neutralize redness all over. Smooth on a layer of a green-hued color correcting BB cream.
2. Use green concealer. For spots that still look red, dab on a green concealer as needed. Don’t worry if your skin is starting to look green, the next step will take care of that.
3. Follow with foundation. Apply the foundation of your choosing (we recommend one with a full coverage finish) in a shade that perfectly matches your skin tone.
4. Choose cool-toned cosmetics. Now that you’ve effectively hidden the look of your ruddiness beneath your makeup, there’s just one thing left to do. When it comes time to pick your color cosmetics, i.e. blush and lipstick, be sure to choose cool tones.