An Antioxidant-Infused Summer Salad With Pomegranate Seeds
When it’s too hot to cook, we prefer to whip up a fresh summer salad for lunch. The best part about making a salad is that they can be completely customized and with a few simple additions! At Skincare.com, we like to stock our salads full of ingredients like antioxidant-packed pomegranate seeds and super seeds. We’re sharing one of our must-try summer salad recipes packed with these good-for-you ingredients, below!
Pomegranates contain antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals like vitamins A, C, and E, folic acid, potassium, and iron…to name a few. By tossing a few tablespoons of pomegranate seeds into your salad, you may not just be turning a boring salad into something fun and tasty, you may also be getting a added boost of antioxidants.
As far as giving our salad some crunch, we like to replace croutons with super seeds or nuts for added nutritional value and of course, skin benefits. According to the Mayo Clinic, walnuts are considered to be one of the top nuts for antioxidant content. So, we like to toss a handful of chopped walnuts into the mix. If you’re not a fan of walnuts, you can swap them for pistachios, almonds, pecans, or hazelnuts and while you’re at it, go nuts—pun intended—and combine a couple of different kinds of these skin benefiting superfoods. Whatever combination you choose, use the recipe below to get started.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 2 cups of chopped leafy greens of your choice
- 2 tablespoons of pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese
- A handful of chopped chicken or steak (optional)
- A small handful of chopped walnuts
- Olive oil
- 1 lemon wedge
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
1. Rinse and dry your choice of chopped leafy green and pomegranate seeds.
2. In a medium-size bowl, add your choice of leafy greens (we prefer kale), pomegranate seeds, chopped walnuts, and feta cheese. If you want to add more protein to your salad, you can also add chopped chicken or steak to the mix.
3. Drizzle olive oil over the ingredients. Less is more, so start with about half a tablespoon and add more as needed.
4. Squeeze the lemon wedge over the ingredients
5. Toss together and voilá, you’ve got yourself a nice, fresh summer salad that you will love.