How to Safely Bronze Your Skin
Looking to achieve a faux glow this winter? Reach for a self-tanner. They’re a much safer approach to achieving sun-kissed skin compared to tanning beds and outdoor sun bathing. Scroll through for expert tips on how to prep your skin for self-tanner, as well as the best formulas to use for your skin tone!
How to Prep Your Skin for Self-Tanner
As much as we love self-tanner, they can cause uneven streaks and dark patches if they’re not applied correctly. The key is to prep your skin first.
1. Exfoliate the night before: L’Oreal Paris Celebrity Makeup Artist Sir John recommends exfoliating the night before applying self-tanner. Doing so can help remove a buildup of impurities and dead cells to reveal smooth skin. The smoother your skin, the easier your application will be.
2. Cleanse your skin: After exfoliating your face and body, follow up with a gentle cleanser in the morning to ensure a clean canvas. Same goes for your body skin, too. Go ahead and hop in the shower and cleanse your skin with a nourishing body wash.
3. Moisturize your skin: While your skin is still damp from cleansing, apply a layer of moisturizer to hydrate your skin. Blend all over your face and body, and pay extra attention to areas of thicker skin like your knees, elbows and ankles. These areas tend to soak up excess self-tanner, so be sure to moisturize thoroughly to avoid unwanted darker patches.
How to Apply Self-Tanner
Now that your skin is prepped, it’s time for the physical application. Here are a few best practices to keep in mind.
1. Make sure your skin is dry: Is your skin still damp from moisturizing? Hold off for a few minutes before applying your self-tanner. The product applies more evenly on pat-dry skin.
2. Apply in sections: Don’t dive into it all at once. Apply the self-tanner in sections—arms first, then legs, then torso, etc.—to ensure you’ve covered all areas thoroughly. Once you’ve completed each section, wash your hands.
3. Stay put for 10 minutes: After you’ve coated your skin in self-tanner, wait at least 10 minutes before dressing yourself in loose clothing. You’ll want to stay in loose clothing for about three hours to allow time for the self-tanner to settle in without staining your clothes.
Editor’s note: These steps apply to self-tanning lotions, but can also be applied to gels, serums, mists and more.
Tips for Fair Skin Tones
Those with fair skin should be the most diligent in applying self-tanner. Every missed spot and streak is more noticeable, so it’s important to choose a self-tanner that’s easy to apply. Try L’Oreal Paris’ Sublime Bronze ProPerfect Self-Tanning Mist Medium Natural Tan. Its wide angled jet applicator allows you to spray the product evenly across the skin, giving you streak-free results.
Sir John also recommends the L’Oreal Paris Sublime Bronze Towelettes for Body. “The towelettes are literally foolproof—you just use the wipes all over the body for a streak-free tan, plus they are travel friendly,” he says.
Tips for Medium Skin Tones
Medium skin tones can go in a couple of different directions–up a notch to a deeper tan or a step down for something less committal. If you’re looking to go with the former, try L’Oreal Paris Sublime Bronze Hydrating Self-Tanning Milk in Medium. It’s formulated to provide a buildable, bronze glow that leaves your skin feeling soft and nourished.
Interested in the latter? Sir John loves L’Oreal Paris Sublime Bronze Summer Express Wash-Off Face Bronzer. “The face cream is a wash-off instant formula and is awesome for getting that sought-after sun-kissed glow without having to go in the sun.”
Tips for Dark Skin Tones
Darker skin tones have the luxury of choosing from a wider array of self-tanning formulas, such as mousses, lotions, serums, mists, and more. Depending on the results you’re aiming for—think: weekend at the beach or a subtle faux glow—you can build layers to your desired preference.
To achieve that lit-from-within glow, we recommend L’Oreal Paris’ Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Serum. This streak-free formula will give you a naturally bronzed glow for up to two weeks.
If you want to look extra sun-kissed, try L’Oreal Paris’ Sublime Bronze Tinted Self-Tanning Lotion in Deep Natural Tan. This vitamin E-enriched lotion will give you a natural-looking, streak-free tan with a subtle shimmer.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
Sun Allergy 101: How to Prevent (And Care For) A Sun Rash