Combatting Crows Feet: 4 Anti-Aging Eye Creams
When it comes to the features we love most about ourselves, we can bet crow’s feet don’t make the top ten. But, if your eyes do make the list, you’ll want to know how you can keep those fine lines from making their appearance. Crow’s feet, those pesky little lines that appear around the outer corners of your eyes, are an annoying fact of aging for many of us. The bad news: wrinkles around the eyes are often some of the first you’ll notice, starting as fine lines and deepening with time and lack of attention. The good news: there’s hope! There are eye creams on the market that can help soften the appearance of those fine lines and wrinkles. Below, our picks of anti-aging eye creams you should put on your radar—and in your skin care routine.
What Are Crow’s Feet?
Crow’s feet are often one of the first signs of skin aging that many of us experience—some of us even experience them as early as our late 20s and early 30s! This is because the skin around our eye area—called the eye contour—is the thinnest, making it more susceptible to internal and external factors that can cause signs of skin aging. Given the name because of their tell-tale appearance—fine lines clustered in the shape of a bird’s footprint—crow’s feet can first pop up as just a few faint lines, but with time—and neglect—may deepen.
What Causes Crow’s Feet?
Before we share how you can help to diminish the appearance of crow’s feet, let’s talk about what causes them in the first place. As with all fine lines and wrinkles the key contributing factors include:
- UV Rays: UVA and UVB rays are typically the number one reason we wrinkle. These damaging rays break down the necessary collagen and elastin that gives youthful skin its plump-appearance and fast bounce-back rate. As those fibers break down wrinkles and sagging skin can start to appear. This is why wearing broad-spectrum SPF each day is so important. In fact, some eye creams are formulated with SPF so you can help to visibly diminish any existing fine lines while preventing new ones from forming.
- Repetitive Moments: From smiling to squinting, repeated muscle movements are a leading cause of skin wrinkling. If you squint in order to see, consider a pair of reading glasses. To keep crow’s feet that can occur with smiling at bay, you’ll want to invest in a great skin care routine that focuses on fine lines!
- Environmental Aggressors: Did you know that one of the leading causes of skin wrinkling is pollution? Pollution causes free radicals to form which—when separated from oxygen molecules—attach to and can breakdown collagen. Everything from city smog to second-hand smoke to car exhaust can lead to air pollution. To protect your skin, consider layering an antioxidant under your SPF each day. Antioxidants provide an alternate mate for the free oxygen radicals to latch on to—not to mention they can help you achieve radiant-looking skin!
- Menopause: As if going through this life change wasn’t already bad enough—what with the hot flashes and the mood swings—did you know that menopause can also affect your skin? During menopause many women suddenly are deficient in their main estrogenic hormone, B-Estradiol. This deficiency can cause a break down in the supportive fat that lies beneath the skin’s surface, which can subsequently cause a sagging and wrinkled appearance.
- Intrinsic Aging: While premature signs of skin aging are caused by external factors, intrinsic aging causes the signs of skin aging that occur simply by the passing of time. As we age our skin can lose moisture, it’s desquamation process (shedding of dead skin cells to reveal new) slows down, and the fibers necessary for youthful-looking, wrinkle-free skin can start to break down.
While you can’t stop time from ticking or the sun from shining—and you certainly shouldn’t stop yourself from smiling—there are steps you can take to help reduce the likelihood that crow’s feet will prematurely make a mark on your skin. In addition to broad-spectrum SPF and antioxidants, you’ll want to incorporate a daily eye cream (that you can use at morning, a night, or both) into your skin care routine. We share a few of our favorites—that have been formulated to address those pesky crow’s feet—below!
SKINCEUTICALS A.G.E. EYE COMPLEX
When you want to fade the look of wrinkles and fine lines—and you’re willing to splurge—SkinCeuticals is always a good bet. Case in point? The brand’s A.G.E. Eye Complex. This three-dimensional eye cream is specially formulated to improve the visible effects of glycation around the eye area—read: the creping and sagging appearance of skin that often accompanies getting older—while simultaneously hydrating the delicate skin of your eye contour. Use once or twice daily to help improve the look of dark circles, puffiness, and wrinkles.
LA ROCHE-POSAY ACTIVE C EYES
Formulated with pure vitamin C, this anti-wrinkle concentrate is recommended for premature aging of the eye area, which can result in fine lines, wrinkles—hello, crows feet—and dark circles. Apply it daily onto the corners of your eyes before using your facial moisturizer. The area will be left feeling refreshed and looking luminous.
La Roche-Posay Active C Eyes, $42.99
VICHY LIFTACTIV RETINOL HA EYES
The skin around the eyes is delicate and sensitive, so it needs to be properly nourished. This formula—for normal and combination skin types—with retinol palmitate and hyaluronic acid, helps to hydrate and plump the look of the eye area.
Vichy LiftActiv Retinol HA Eyes, $42.50
L’ORÉAL REVITALIFT MIRACLE BLUR EYE
This anti-aging eye treatment, complete with opti-blur technology and light-diffusing pigments, can help diminish the appearance of crows feet, lines, and under eye bags. Is Miracle Blur the next miracle in your skin care regimen? We’ll leave that up to you to decide!
Worried more about dark circles or under-eye puffiness than you are about crow's feet? You're in luck. We're sharing 11 great eye creams and serums that target every eye contour concern.
We asked a top dermatologist to share his must-have anti-aging ingredients. Find out which five ...
Want younger-looking hands? We share an anti-aging hand care routine for youthful-looking hands,...
Get younger-looking skin just by incorporating this skin care product into your anti-aging routi...
Discover why hydration is key if you want to ward off wrinkles. We share the benefits of hyaluro...
Kick wrinkles and fine lines to the curb thanks to these seven hydrating anti-aging creams for m...
- Skin Types
Get younger-looking skin with these three drugstore serums with major anti-aging powers.
Looking for affordable anti-aging skin care? Look no further than L'Oreal Revitalift. We review ...
As hard as it is to part with hard-earned cash, there are some products that are just worth it. ...
Some things in life are worth spending a little extra money on—a really great pair of shoes, a r...
We all love a great deal but sometimes it’s acceptable—even necessary—to splurge a little, espec...
- Product Picks