How To: Get Groovy With Negative Space Nail Art
Get into the holiday spirit with Essie’s Winter 2016 polishes! Ahead we share a fun, festive, and super easy negative space nail art tutorial using the brand’s all-new metallic gold “Getting Groovy” lacquer, invisible tape, and coveted Gel Setter top coat.
Aside from decorating and baking every sugary treat we can think of, one of our favorite ways to get into the holiday spirit is by revamping our everyday beauty looks with a little festive flare. From darkening our hair color to rocking cranberry colored lipsticks to testing out the season’s hottest nail lacquers, we can’t get enough! This holiday season, our eyes are set on all things metallic—think: gold, silver, and copper everything!—so, when essie sent our office a complimentary sample of their all-new metallic gold “Getting Groovy” polish from the brand’s Winter 2016 nail polish collection, we treated ourselves to a quick in-office manicure and created a fun, easy nail art tutorial using the gold palladium lacquer and some office supplies— because, why not?
Here’s what you’ll need to recreate the look at home:
● Essie’s First Base base coat
● Essie’s Getting Groovy nail polish
● Essie’s Gel Setter top coat
● Invisible tape or painter’s masking tape
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Apply Essie’s First Base base coat to clean, dry nails and let dry.
- With the exception of your ring fingers, apply two coats of Essie’s Getting Groovy polish.
- Cut a small piece of tape and apply it diagonally across your ring finger’s nail bed—be sure to double check that the edges are completely sealed against your nail before moving on to step four.
- Carefully apply one coat of Essie’s Getting Groovy polish (or spice things up and use a glitter polish instead!) to one side of the taped nail.
- Gently peel away the invisible tape and allow your nail to dry before moving on to step six.
- Complete your holiday manicure with one coat of Essie’s Gel Setter top coat.
Editor’s Tip: If you’re in a hurry— read: too impatient to wait for your nails to dry— or want to prevent any premature chips during the drying process, reach for Essie’s Quick-e finisher. Formulated to protect your nails from dents and smudges during the drying process, this quick drying manicure finisher is like the cherry on top to your festive holiday mani!