How to Steam Your Face, Spa-Style
The steam room is often the first stop during a spa day. Used before a facial, five to ten minutes in the steam room can help prepare your skin for the facial. However, most of us can agree that steaming our face over the sink at home doesn’t give that same zen-like feeling we get at the spa, and that’s because at home it’s missing one key element: aromatherapy. If steaming your face pre-facial has its benefits, steaming your skin with a little aromatherapy mixed in seriously ups the ante. Interested in learning how to steam your face spa-style? Keep reading!
Rules of Steaming:
- Whether you’re at home or at the spa, always steam before your facial, never after. If steaming before prepares your skin to soak up all the goodies in the skin care products you’ll use—from serums to masks to moisturizers—steaming after practically washes them all away.
- Drink a lot of water and avoid alcohol—this rule is especially important when steaming at the spa. Steam rooms naturally make you sweat, which can lead to dehydration if you’re not drinking enough water or imbibing in liquids that can be dehydrating. For a true spa experience, whip up one of our fruit- and herb-infused water recipes.
- Steam for 5-10 minutes… tops!
What You’ll Need:
Before steaming your face, decide on the aromatherapy experience you’d like to have and select the right essential oils:
- To feel invigorated: citrus-scented essential oils
- To feel relaxed: lavender or chamomile essential oils
- To feel uplifted: rose essential oil
- For the ultimate spa-steam experience: eucalyptus oil
You’ll also need water, a large heat-safe bowl (microwave-safe options work well), and a large bath towel
What You’ll Do:
- Bring 2-3 cups of water to a boil and then carefully transfer to the bowl.
- Add 10 drops of the essential oil of your choice and allow the water to cool down a bit.
- Place a towel or a trivet down on your kitchen table (this is more so to protect your table from the hot bowl and less about the steaming process…just looking out!) and place the bowl on top.
- Get comfy in the adjacent chair and then drop your face just slightly over the bowl, draping your head and shoulders with the large bath towel.
- Enjoy the aromatherapy scented steam for no more than 10 minutes and then continue with your skin care routine.
We like to contrast the warmth felt during the steam session by using one of our signature ice cube face masks before following our usual regimen.